30 Jan 7 Tips For Furnishing Small Spaces
Furnishing small spaces can be a challenge, but with the right storage solutions, colour and furniture, there are lots of tips and tricks which will help you make the most of the square footage you have.
- Make your furniture work double hard – for example, an upholstered storage ottoman that doubles as a coffee table or extra seating.
- Go vertical. Emphasis the height of a room and maximise storage by having floor to ceiling shelves. If you keep them tidy and just have one wall of shelving it won’t overwhelm or clutter the space.
- Get custom-made furniture to make the most of the available space.
- Play Up the Light. Take advantage of all available light to help enlarge the space. Avoid dark colours – use white or pale colours to increase the brightness of a room by reflecting light.
- Keep window furnishings simple and avoid blocking the windows with heavy layers of fabric.
- Use mirrors to reflect light around the room and give a feeling of openness.
- Try matching furniture colour to wall colour to make it feel larger